Friday, March 22, 2013

Favorite Books

Sorry I haven't posted in so long! Teachers at uni are seriously going crazy giving us stuff to read! Anyways, this is a requested post by the lovely Maria from Blindly Beautiful! I won't include the obvious ones (Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, The Chronicles of Narnia, etc), so this list won't be so long. //
Perdón por no haber posteado nada en un tiempo! Los profesores en la U están vueltos locos dándonos cosas para leer. Bueno, este es un post pedido por Maria de Blindly Beautiful! No voy a incluir los obvios (Harry Potter, Los Juegos del Hambre, Las Crónicas de Narnia, etc) para que la lista no sea tan larga.


1. The Arthur Trilogy by Kevin Crossley-Holland. I really haven't seen a lot of people talking about this series - I actually spotted the cover of "The Seeing Stone" (the first book) in a bookstore and thought the cover and the summary looked/sounded interesting. Arthur de Caldicot is a young boy living in Wales during A.D. 1199 and 1200, who can see the life of King Arthur through a "seeing stone" that Merlin gave him. There are three books in this series, all told from Arthur's point of view. For me, I know a book is a favorite when I want to re-read it - and I think I've read the series two or three times now. Overall it's a really good series that doesn't really have any boring moments. //
La Trilogía de Arturo de Kevin Crossley-Holland. No he visto a mucha gente que hable de esta serie - en realidad un día estaba en una librería que vendía libros en inglés y vi la carátula y el resumen del primer libro, y se veía interesante. Arturo de Caldicot es un niño viviendo en Gales en los años 1199 y 1200 A.C., que puede ver la vida del Rey Arturo a través de una "piedra mágica" que le dió Merlín. Los tres libros de la serie son contados del punto de vista de Arturo. Para mí, sé que un libro es mi favorito cuando lo quiero releer, y creo que esta serie la he leído dos o tres veces. En general, es una muy buena serie que casi no tiene momentos aburridos.


2. The Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare (I'm missing the first two because I lent them to a friend). A very popular YA series that will be turned into a movie soon. Clary Fray was a normal teenager living in New York, until she witnesses a murder that only she can see at Pandemonium nightclub one night. It sounds really dramatic when you just say that and don't explain the rest, but I guess that's made to encourage people to read it, no? A friend of mine insisted that I should read them, and from the first one I was hooked! The first three books are the best ones (you can actually tell that Cassandra Clare had intended on the series to end there), but I've got to make a special mention to City of Lost Souls for its humor. //
La serie de Cazadores de Sombras de Cassandra Clare (Me faltan los primeros dos porque se los presté a un amigo). Es una serie adolescente muy popular que va a ser una película muy pronto. Clary Fray era una adolescente común viviendo en Nueva York, hasta que es testigo de un asesinato que solo ella puede ver una noche en el Club Pandemonio. Suena bien dramático si no se explica más, pero así es como convencen a los lectores que lean el libro, no? Una amiga me insitió mucho en que los leyera, y desde el primero estaba obsesionada. En mi opinión, los tres primeros son los mejores (se nota mucho que Cassandra Clare tenía planeado solo tres libros), pero tengo que hacer una mención especial a Ciudad de las Almas Perdidas por su humor!


3. Percy Jackson & the Olympians Series by Rick Riordan. Most people know this series because of the movie that came out a few years ago - I liked it, but the books are so much better! The basic premise is that Percy finds out he is a demigod (son of Poseidon), and there's a prophecy in each book that sends him off in a different adventure. I really loved to see how the relationship between Annabeth and Percy played out, they're so cute! //
Casi todos conocen estos libros por la película que salió hace un par de años - me gustó, pero los libros son mucho mejores! La premisa básica es que Percy se entera de que es un semidiós (hijo de Poseidón), y hay una profecía en cada libro que lo manda a diferentes aventuras. Me gustó mucho ver como evolucionaba la relación entre Percy y Annabeth - son tan tiernos!


4. The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory. I can honestly say that I love this book. I've read it countless times and it still never gets old. Set in the court of Henry the Eighth, the book sees the demise of Catherine of Aragon and the rise and eventual fall of Anne Boleyn, all through the eyes of Mary Boleyn (Anne's sister). They made a movie a few years ago, and this is the perfect opportunity to use the phrase 'Don't judge a book by it's movie'! Having loved the book so much I was really disappointed by the movie - it's nothing like the book!//
Puedo decir honestamente que amo este libro. Lo he leido miles de veces y todavía no me aburro. En la corte de Enrique Octavo, se ve la desaparición de Catalina de Aragón y el ascenso y caída de gracia de Ana Bolena, todo visto desde los ojos de María Bolena (la hermana de Ana). Hicieron una película hace unos años, y esta es la perfecta oportunidad de usar la frase 'nunca juzgues un libro por su película'! Siendo una fan muy grande, la adaptación al cine me decepcionó demasiado - no se parece en nada al libro!


5. 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez. I had to read this book when I was in school, and I think it's safe to say that I was the only one that actually finished it. Telling the story of the Buendía family along its many generations, it can get tricky remembering who's who (nearly every character is either named Aureliano, José Arcadio or Amaranta), so I would recommend looking up the family tree on Google and glance at it every time you get confused (which will be a lot). //
Tuve que leer este libro cuando estaba en el colegio, y creo que puedo decir con toda propiedad que fui la única que lo terminó. Cuenta la historia de la familia Buendía en sus muchas generaciones, y se puede volver un poco difícil acordarse quién es quién (casi todos los personajes se llaman Aureliano, José Arcadio, o Amaranta), así que recomendaría buscar el árbol familiar en Google y echarle una mirada cada vez que te confundas (lo que va a ser mucho).


6. The House of Spirits by Isabel Allende. Another Latin American novel, this one by a Chilean writer! The House of Spirits also tells the story of a family and its many generations. It goes through the different political periods in Chile from the point of view of the Trueba family. It kind of goes along in the same magical realism as One Hundred Years of Solitude (I guess I really like the genre, ha), but of course, set in Chile. It's also considered one of the great Latinamerican classics, so it can't be recommended enough! //
La Casa de los Espíritus de Isabel Allende. Otra novela Latinoamericana, ésta por una escritora Chilena! La Casa de los Espíritus también cuenta la historia de una familia y varias de sus generaciones. El libro va por los diferentes períodos políticos en Chile desde el punto de vista de la familia Trueba. Va por el mismo camino del realismo mágico de Cien Años de Soledad (creo que me gusta mucho el género, jaja), pero en Chile. También es considerado uno de los clásicos Latinoamerianos, así que no podría estar más recomendado!

So there you go! Those are my favorite books. Hope you liked this post :) 
What are your favorite books?

Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh, this was a great post! Think we have very similar taste in books! I read The Other Boleyn Girl ages ago, way before the movie (didn't even realise there was a movie of it :D), and I loved it!
    Also, Isabel Allende is one of my all time favourite authors, she has such a beautiful writing style, I'd love to read her books in Spanish!
    Definitely going to give your other recommended books a read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't even bother watching the movie! It's horrible :(
      I haven't really read much of Isabel Allende - I read My Invented Country while I lived in the Dominican Republic and loved it! And that's about it :( My mom also read Paula and said it was heartbreaking.

      I'd love to see what books you recommend! I want to buy some new books when I'm off my spending ban :)

      Delete